The Buddy Christian Foundation is a start-up nonprofit corporation that was organized on March 22, 2012, one year to the day that our namesake Buddy Christian was killed in the line of duty. Our mission is twofold:
- prevent law enforcement line of duty deaths;
- assist the surviving family members of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.
We are serving law enforcement families and protecting law enforcement officers. Our Board, staff, and volunteers are working on four programs that we expect to deploy this coming year (2014):
- Buddy Kits: Trauma Kits for Police Officers - Of course, the ideal outcome for all law enforcement families is to have their loved officer return home alive at the end of every shift. To that end, we aspire to put a Buddy Kit(TM), self-aid or buddy-aid trauma kit, in the hand of every police officer. These kits and accompanying training will help tend to critical wounds suffered in the field, and prevent line of duty deaths.
- Improving Officer Defensive Technologies - We intend to establish a research and development initiative in partnership with public safety equipment manufacturers that will develop and deploy new field technologies that will save police officers lives.
- Preparing Law Enforcement Families for a Line of Duty Death - We intend to provide pre-incident financial and estate counseling to help law enforcement families prepare for the unthinkable before it occurs.
- Counseling Survivors - We are actively working on a curriculum of counseling for the families of fallen law enforcement officers to help them rebuild their shattered dreams.
In the short time that we’ve been organized, we have made substantial grants to 501(c)(3) organizations with missions that meld with ours. The recipients of grants in 2012 were: Concerns of Police Survivors; Police Unity Tour. These two organizations are very dear to Buddy Christian’s surviving family members.